MiP runs a successful training programme for members who want to support their colleagues by becoming MiP link members or reps.
We have developed these two roles to help, you, as health managers with demanding jobs and stressful workloads, to manage your commitment. How much you do depends is entirely up to you and what suits your circumstances.
It could be, for example, telling your colleagues about MiP and encouraging them to join, identifying issues such as discrimination to raise with your national officer, or representing and supporting members with workplace problems such as grievances, bullying and harassment.
Our two day course is just the start. As an MiP link member or rep you will be fully supported by MiP staff and other reps. We will continue to provide advice, guidance and support as you develop your role.
If already have experience from being active in one of our partner unions, Unison and the FDA, that will be of huge benefit to other course participants.
MiP will pay reasonable expenses for attendance such as travel, accommodation and meals. There is an organised dinner on the first night and plenty of networking opportunities during the course.
MiP Link Members’ training
- 21 and 22 April 2020: Unison Centre, 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY
- 6 and 7 October 2020: Unison Centre, 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY
This course will enable you to:
- Act as the main workplace contact between national officers, head office, and MiP members within a team or organisation
- Help to keep MiP staff informed of developments within your organisation, and local members up to date with MiP’s work
- Explain and promote the union’s policies and services, and help to recruit new members;
- Help local members to access advice, information and representation, and offer them informal support
MiP Reps’ training
If you have already done the link member training and would like to develop a more representative role in your workplace then this is the course for you.
- 2 and 3 June 2020: MiP Offices, Centenary House, 93-95 Borough High Street, London SE1 1NL
- 11 and 12 November 2020: Unison Centre, 130 Euston Road, London NW1 2AY
This course will help you to:
- Understand the role of the MiP rep
- Identify how you can support and represent members in the workplace
- Increase your confidence in interviewing members about workplace issues
- Be aware of basic employment rights
- Explore the essential elements of representation
- Prepare you to start your new role as an MiP rep
How to sign up
Simply email Laura Anthony at MiP head office if you would like to attend any of these training sessions.
For further information or to discuss getting more involved in MiP, please contact Helen Carr, MiP’s head of operations.
If you’re interested in becoming a link member or rep but cannot make these dates, please let Laura know and we will tell you as soon as our next round of courses are scheduled.